March is the time of year 4-H clubs enroll new members and past members re-enroll. Youth can join at any time of the year, but need to join by April 15th to be eligible for fair.
Finding a 4-H Club
Become Familiar with 4-H Project Areas
If you are not familiar with 4-H, it is helpful to first check out the Family Guide or the Project Central website. Hard copies of the Family Guide are available at the Delaware County Extension Office. Check out the types of projects available in 4-H and choose a few that might interest you. You are also welcome to visit our project book room to preview project books.
2018 Family Guide website
Project Central website
4-H Open House
The 4-H Open House is another great way to find out more. 4-H volunteers and staff will be available to answer your questions and help you find a club. Open house events are:
- 2:30 to 4:30 PM, Sunday, March 11 at the Berkshire Township Hall, 1454 Rome Corners Road, Galena
- 2:30 to 4:30 PM, Sunday, March 11 at OSU Extension, Delaware County, 149 N. Sandusky Street, Delaware
- 2:30 to 4:30 PM, Sunday, March 11 at Oxford Township Hall, 5125 Shoemaker Road, Ashley
- 2:30 to 4:30 PM, Sunday, March 22 at Beautiful Savior Church, 3924 Home Road, Powell
Finding a Club
Once you know the types of projects you are interested in taking, you will be able to look for a 4-H club in your area that offers help in the projects your child is interested in taking. Check out the Club List links to help you find a club. Not all clubs are able to offer help in every project we have available, so many clubs specialize in certain projects. Narrow your list to a couple clubs and contact the club's organizational advisor. Finding a club that fits your needs is essential to having a postitive 4-H experience.
Here are some questions you may want to ask the organizational advisor:
- Where do you meet?
- Do you have a scheduled meeting date? If so, what day and time?
- Do you have an advisor to help in my child's project area or will I (the parent) need to be the primary source for helping?
- What is the age range of your club? Do you have other children that are the age of my child?
Once you have called a couple clubs and decided on which one best meets your needs, call the organizational advisor to find out when they will have their next meeting. Out of courtesy, please call the other clubs that you had contacted to let them know your final decision. It will help them with planning for the year and knowing how many other new members they can add.
Enrolling in the Club You've Choosen
YOU MUST KNOW WHAT CLUB YOU ARE JOINING PRIOR TO ENROLLING. The club you join will provide you with the online enrollment information necessary to join 4-H. They will help you know what project books you will need to purchase and get you started.
If you need more help or have questions, please call us at 740-833-2030.